Saturday, May 21, 2011

G'Pa Markwood talks with Duncan about the value of his name.

Duncan and I continued to walk down the trail and talk until we got to an old homestead at the far end of the trail.  We looked into the windows and Duncan commented on the items inside as I looked to see when my dad was hiding.  I finally noticed him through the windows of the house that he was sitting just around the corner on the front porch.

Duncan continued to talk as I motioned for him to keep walking around the corner.  As soon as he rounded the corner I heard him say "Hi Grandpa!" 
I had them both pose for a quick photo, then the two of them continued down the trail.

Dad talked to Duncan about the wonderful gift he has been given in the name that he bears.  He inherited a name that his dad had taken good care of, and Dad (G'pa) reminded him that his behavior and choices would reflect on not only his own name and reputation, but that there was carry-over if he makes bad choices.

I noticed that Chris had continued down the path behind me and Duncan, so I lagged back until he caught up.

Chris and I walked and talked the balance of the way around the trail, making sure not to catch Dad and Duncan.  We saw a deer and lots of majestic birds, and Chris told me about a time on this very trail where two black bear cubs dropped from that large tree that you see on the left-hand side of the photo, only to be chased across the trail by their mother.  Chris said that there was an elderly couple walking towards them in the opposite direction, completely engrossed in whatever conversation they were in.  Chris tried to get their attention by waving frantically, but since he had his young family with him he tried not to draw the attention of the momma bear.   Just as the mother bear reached the trail she stood-up on her hind legs, and with front arms lifted high into the air she let-out a mighty roar!

No comments:

Post a Comment